Thursday, January 21, 2010

Why is it so cool for teenagers to be ';disturbed'; these days?

I'm a teacher, and I see kids all the time who are into self-harm, and looking like they want to live in a cemetery. Am I just getting old, or is it that what used to be an underground counterculture has gone public or, dare I say, mainstream?





And what is it with the bands that glorify this? My Chemical Romance, Penknifelovelife etc? Their music might be fantastic, but I can't imagine that I'd want to listen to a song titled ';Touch Me Again and I Will Stab You With A Screwdriver';...Why is it so cool for teenagers to be ';disturbed'; these days?
I think it is the same teenage angst that has always existed just being exhibited in a new way. So those who don't understand it see it as being ';disturbed'; but in reality it is the same feeling of being ';misunderstood';Why is it so cool for teenagers to be ';disturbed'; these days?
I am a teenage.. and i have been there, done that in that phase. I can tell you straight up exactly why kids do it. Because they strive on attention. they are boring people and the only way for them to stand out in a crowd is to look like that. They continue to do it, because it works.





However, i do like bands like my chemical romance, just because the music is good. I can listen to a song like that and not want to do self-harm. That style HAS gone mainstream, which is why it is so popular, and it is just another fad.
i think its a way the person whats to express their self it may look odd but their just looking for atittion
Because their teenagers, period. I'm 21 now, but I too was the same way. It's all about them getting a certain amount of attention, either from their parents or friends. Luckily, most teens grow out of this phase, others keep it and go on to live secretive or gothic lifestyles.

No comments:

Post a Comment