Thursday, May 13, 2010

How come teenagers coming straight out of high shool have to pay for college? Do you think we should pay?

Not everyone who attends college has to pay for it. I believe four years of college or university are free in many very progressive countries, including Britain and Australia. Promoting and supporting a better educated population is no disadvangtage to any country. The US and Canada would do well to make post-secondary education more reachable for more students. Over a generation or so we would see a significant decrease in illiteracy and a significant increase in GNP.How come teenagers coming straight out of high shool have to pay for college? Do you think we should pay?
Hell yeah, what do you think your parents should support you eating pizza and sitting on your ***? College is expensive! You are an adult, get a job and pay your way and get loans.How come teenagers coming straight out of high shool have to pay for college? Do you think we should pay?
I had $17,000 in student loans and worked full time. Why should I have to struggle with this and not you?
Somebody has to pay for it and I hope you don't think MY tax dollars should!! Ask your parents, that's their job
last time I checked, everyone who attends college has to pay for it; why should high school seniors be any different?





If I am having to pay for my education, then you or your parents should have to pay for yours.





You are more apt to appreciate your education if you have to pay for it. You are also more inclined to bust you butt for those grades so that you don't have to pay for a class more than once.
Colleges are businesses. They don't exist to provide a service for free. Someone has to pay for it and it makes sense for it to be the person receiving the service.
Yes. It is a choice and a privilege to receive a college education, so you need to pay for it. I have been paying on mine for 6 years and still have 2 years left. You are an adult now, get used to paying your own way!
College should be free for everyone all the time.
What is this ';High shool'; you speak of?





If you mean right out of high school, yes, I feel that college needs to be paid for. Partly because it always has been, and they aren't going to get there money anywhere else, and also because of how many scholarship, loan, and grant programs there are out there, you might not have to pay a cent if you're in the right situation.
Ah let's see, you go to college, you get a nice well paying job. You benefit.





You can always work Ft and go to school PT, you can also take out student loans or join the military. You can go to college while you are in and get paid while you get an education and then you can get the GI Bill when you get out.





Life isn't fair, the sooner you accept this and go on the better your life will be.





My parent's did not pay out a penny for my college education. I now have a master's degree and I was done paying for my student loan's by the time my son started school.





He is now in the Navy, he has earned a semester of college credit in about 6 months and he will have the GI Bill.





There are ways.
Yes. The free ride is over.
The teen going to college should be responsible for some of the payment but the parents should be able to help the teen also. Of course, it's the teen's responability to apply for scholarships and get them, and the parent's responsability to get financial aid from the school.
Yes, you should.
Actually, everything in this life that has a cost, has to be paid SOMEHOW.
Ah....poor baby, Welcome to the real world!
look what happens in high school. you're not paying for it. look how many people just spend the time screwing around.





if you're paying for something, paying A LOT for something, you're more likely to give a damn and make something of yourself.





get a job and take out some loans. it'll be the biggest character building experience you'll ever have.
Well, those who have not reached their 18th birth date should not have to pay; however, ';generally'; the same group are in ';deep denial'; when it comes to facing the reality of being an independent, responsible, adult.





The airs of selfishness; the world revolves around me; and wanting to put the ';cart before the horse'; are meaningless. Generally, teens have to be weaned from their comfort zones (mom and/or pop's pocketbooks) like a teething baby from the bottle.





I have to admit, I had to ';unspoil myself'; shortly after getting married the 1st time (under 21). I was 17 when I graduated from high school, the economy was a tad bit better than it is now {ENRON was a strong company} and working adults could still rely on retiring from their places of employment at that time. I joined the military [Viet Nam - ended in the nick of time]. I got a chance to attend training in an expanded role for females (signal school); and I was ALL I could be in a short time due to an unfortunate injury. Anyway, I married at 19, my eldest child was born the month after I turned 23. I tell you youngsters, the fantasy of wanting a family and the reality is like the difference between ';Barney and Godzilla';.





My advice to young people is the same that was given to me - ';Live your life, but don't be in a rush to get old.'; It seams like it takes forever to get from the beginning of the school year to the end; then the last year finally arrives.





Oh no! I don't have to go back to school this Fall :) The end of summer still happens; and either you are back in school [college/technical] or in the school of survival [working to finance your needs - not wants].





Give youself a pat on the back, and hold your hands up like a Champion - you have met your high shool requirments.





Congratulations!
Let's look at it from another point of view. Who do you think SHOULD pay?


Who is going to choose the work they want to do? You are.


Who is going to choose the school they will attend? You are.


Who will benefit from higher education? You will.


Whose life will be changed by what s/he learns and experiences in university or college? Yours will.





I don't see anyone else benefiting from you going to college, except for you, so it seems to me that you should, at eighteen, be able to be responsible for your future.


Students loans are available and if you don't want to go that route, and didn't qualify for some kind of scholarship, there are student jobs available on campus. Both my grandchildren graduated from university this spring and neither had any loans or debts. They did it by themselves, and said it gave them more incentive to study and less comfort when goofing off. And that doesn't sound like a bad thing to me!
yes, bout time the free ride is over
growing up is hell welcome to the world no more free ride
FAFSA, ever heard of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment